We wholeheartedly believe that you get what you pay for.
And, as with anything else in life, it’s always best to consult an expert before diving in with the mistaken philosophy of ‘I’ll get the cheapest option’ or’sure, what do the experts know?’.
So we thought we’d jot down a few things we see on a daily basis that, in our expert opinion, could be easily avoided, corrected, or simply managed more efficiently.
1. Companies print more than they think: People always believe they print less than they actually do. This is almost always the case. A print audit is the most effective way to determine how much printing your company does. Then you’ll know exactly how much colour and/or mono printing you’re doing.
2. Fit for purpose? How do you know you have the right machines for your needs if you don’t know how much printing your company does?
3. Keeping stock: As a backup, many businesses keep 2 or 3 toners per colour (CMYK) in their office. Why is this a problem, you may ask? Let’s take a look at it from various angles:
a) Toner boxes take up a lot of space.
b) Each toner can cost on average €120 per unit, so if you have two units per colour, that is a cost of €960 that’s sitting idle in your office when that money could be put to very good use elsewhere in the business, e.g. we’re thinking marketing, training, equipment upgrades…
c) If you change the photocopier or printer, it’s highly probable that the toners in stock won’t be compatible with the new machines.
d) And now there is a conundrum about what to do with the unused toners. If your company or business has a CSR policy, then throwing them out won’t be an option!
4. Forgetting about stock: Many people keep a stock of toner and then forget about it, ordering more when needed. Spend twice as much. More resources that could be put to better use elsewhere.
5. Buying toner too often: If you have to buy toner more than once a quarter, you have the wrong machine for your company.
6. Not investing in a Managed Print Service (MPS): There is no need to stock toner with an MPS in place. Our software is used to keep track of toner, drums, and any other parts that may break or wear out over time. Setting are changed to notify Highline Office Technology when toner needs to be sent out, what colour is running low, what parts need to be replaced, or if a service engineer is needed for any maintenance. If your office or business has two or more printers/photocopiers that need to be managed, we strongly recommend investing in an MPS.